Lip augmentation is a cosmetic procedure aimed to create plumper, fuller lips while reducing the visibility of wrinkles surrounding the mouth. There are different methods used to achieve this look. These include collagen or fat injections, dermal filler injections or implants.
Candidates for Lip Augmentation
For you to be a good candidate of lip augmentation, you need to:
- Be in good health
- Understand the procedure, its benefits, limitations, outcomes and risks involved
People suffering from oral herpes and other medical conditions affecting the mouth are not suitable candidates. In addition, smokers and diabetics may experience higher complication rates.
Several techniques can be used. Most of them are performed in a similar way, but they have a few differences.
- Fat transfer injections — your collagen or fat cells are harvested from one part of the body and injected into your lips. There are no allergic reactions, but your body will reabsorb this injection as time goes. Also, there is need to remove fat or collagen (using liposuction or other traditional surgery methods) before it is processed and re-injected into your body
- Juvederm or Bellafill injections — these are the most popular techniques of lip augmentation. They differ in their effectiveness ranging from a few weeks to several years. Many methods make the lips plump by the volume of the injected solution and stimulate the production of the body’s natural collagen, creating results that are more permanent.
- Synthetic implants—these are made from Gore-Tex, ePTFE and silicone. They are created using firmer materials, and they are implanted in a single piece into your lips. They are less common because they need an incision to insert the material into the lips, but they offer a more permanent solution
Lip augmentation is carried out on an outpatient basis in our Rockford office. Doctor Pryor applies a local or topical anesthesia to eliminate pain during treatment. The selected material is then injected into the lips. Depending on the selected material, it may need one or several injections into several areas of your lips.
Lip Augmentation is a minimally invasive procedure with little risk of complication compared to other cosmetic surgery methods. The risks depend on the type of material you choose, and they are:
- Allergic reaction
- Shifting of the implant or injection material
Benefits of Lip Augmentation
The benefits of a lip augmentation treatment are plumper, fuller lips, and a more youthful and attractive look.
Schedule Your Consultation
Lip augmentation is a quick and virtually painless procedure that will leave your lips with a full volume and looking beautiful. If you suffer from thin lips, contact Transformations Plastic Surgery today to schedule your consultation and learn if you are a suitable candidate. Our team will work with you to determine the most effective treatment plan for your needs.