Vitamin B12 is required by the body for healthy red blood cells and nerves. Deficiency in this vitamin is considered one of the top nutrient deficiencies throughout the world. Along with maintaining healthy nervous and cardiovascular systems, this vitamin is also required for addressing adrenal fatigue, DNA synthesis, enzyme production and hormonal balance. Since it is essential for many bodily functions, a deficiency may have many symptoms, such as chronic fatigue, depression and chronic stress.
Some of the main benefits of vitamin B12 are:
• It lowers the risk of developing neurodegenerative disease, including dementia and Alzheimer’s disease. It benefits cognitive function and prevents memory loss because of its role in nerve health and neurotransmitter signaling.
• It converts carbohydrates into usable glucose for energy. People with a vitamin B12 deficiency often experience chronic fatigue. It also helps muscles contract, which helps avoid the feeling of being run down.
• Because it helps the nervous system properly function, it helps to reduce mood disorders, such as depression and anxiety. It combines with folate to help people regulate their moods and deal with stress.
• It helps reduce the level of homocysteine in the body, which is a major risk factor in heart disease. When this is lowered by vitamin B12, there is less risk of a heart attack. It may also help control high cholesterol, high blood pressure and atherosclerotic diseases.
• It helps maintain healthy skin, nails and hair. It helps reduce dryness and redness in the skin. It prevents hair breakage and helps the nails become strong.
• It fosters healthy bacteria to aid in digestion and prevents Candida and inflammatory bowel disease.
• It is important for pregnant women because it is required to create DNA and for healthy growth and development. When it interacts with folate, it may lower the risk of birth defects.
• It helps prevent anemia because it is needed to produce healthy levels of red blood cells. By preventing megaloblastic anemia, it helps prevent chronic fatigue.
• Preliminary research shows that when combined with folate, vitamin B12 may lower the risk of certain types of cancer. It may help prevent cancer in the prostate, cervix and colon.
It is essential to have a healthy digestive system to absorb vitamin B12. Some vegans and vegetarians are asked to take vitamin supplements to help prevent deficiency because the main source is meat and fish. Some sources are more easily absorbed than others are. Beef and chicken liver are the most easily absorbed, and lamb is the least easily absorbed. Organic yogurt offers about a 50 percent absorption rate.
Vitamin B12 is a water-soluble vitamin that needs to be taken daily through either food or dietary supplements. During a consultation with our specialist at Transformations Plastic Surgery, you may learn about how vitamin B12 can help your health issues. If you are deficient in vitamin B12, there may be a simple solution to get your energy back and improve your overall health. Our office is located in Rockford. Contact us today to schedule your consultation.